Sunday, February 26, 2006

Auckland, part 2

Part 2 of the Downtown Auckland series. More pics as usual. Please view this page with a fast connection.


I just stupidly resized all my images of downtown auckland, so the images of part 1 and 2 are now permanently 400x 300 size. Didnt make a backup.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Huge ship by the Quay. Heard that crusies are quite popular here.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
If u look closely at the bottom left, it says "This product contains peanuts." Well duh! How can anyone eat satay with no peanuts! Ang mo's...........

Just one side rant:when the British came, they laft sensible names for things like satay. Anyone can pronounce that. Correctly.

But came along DBP, and it HAD to change "satay" to "sate". WTH? No one I know can pronounce "sate" at all! Damn Malaysian beaucrats and "nationalists"......


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Some huge yatch of importance. Its insanely huge! Makes a good shade too.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Sorry. I resized it the wrong way. So now it looks squashed. i didnt have a backup, so this is all I have left. Essentially, its an important boat that won NZ some things. I'm not a yatching fan, so I cant say. The thing is 35.4 m long!

This was outside the National Marintime Museum. I didnt go in. Still waiting for my student card to get discounted entry.

While walking along Queen street, I saw my first protest!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
It was a group of people making a hell of noise outside a building. Cant really remember what they were protesting, but it all boiled down to empowering the unions, having higher pay, and secure jobs. Sure, we all want that, but you'll never see this in Malaysia. Not with our ISA.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
They held up place cards and kept shouting, while one guy was shouting into a bull horn. They called for higher pay. Many people stopped to look at them. but not the drivers. The reason the cars are stationary is the light was red.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Traffic kept flowing even as they held place cards saying "Honk if you support us" Quite a few motorists did. This is not Malaysia. NZ drivers are amazing. They dont be keh poh. They dont slow down just to see an accident, much less a protest. In Malaysia, this road will be jammed up with all the people slowing down to look!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
A flattened sky tower. This was taken as I approached it on Victoria street.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Saw this billboard just near the sky tower. When Jeremy Clarkson says something, everone takes it to heart.

Part 3 coming in a not so recent soon time.

No comments: