I may be 8500km away from my beloved Kuching, but in my heart, I'll always be a Kuching boy. And many a Kuching boy knows about Sarawak club.
Its one historial club all right. Founded during the Brooke era, in good old 1876, it was a retreat for the Brooke and British government officers. Must have been quite a place in its old days, a place where the proper gentlemen went to retreat for the weekends. Being located on a hill, it must have given a fairly good view of what was then known as Kuching, the tiny city that no one knew, and still many dont know. but thats another story.
But on Thursday, 27/07/06, supposedly at 3am, a fire broke out at the Club. And down it went in flames. The fire must have been very intense. theres not much left of the club really.
Picture from thestar website, the only paper that BOTHERS to even mention us Sarawakians.
As I said, it was one hell of a fire. Must have been one hell of a fire.
This image also came from thestar's website. I wonder where they got it from? Who was there when the blaze was so strong? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......
The story from the star is here.
Anyway, thanks to the internet, a quick search turned up many people talking about the burnt down club. Some were a bit sadist, saying that Sarawak Club is "only for the rich mans (sic)". Some were dumbwitted, as most Kuchingites are, such as "No more butter prawns!" Others still were more sensible, saying "Its a sad thing" Some blogs were just unreadable, with SMS language and tErRiblE uSagE anD AbuSe oF tHE UppeR aNd loWeR cAse lEtteRs, like uneducated peasants. But most just made a passing remark in their blogs.
But at least there were some pictures. I have curi'ed some of the pictures, from other blogs who curi'ed the pictures from other blogs. Credit and much thanks from a Kuchingite so far away from home.



It'll be misleading to say I grew up in Sarawak Club, but its safe to say I have my fair share of good memories of the place. I liked the library, even if the air cond was freezing mad. I swam and enjoyed the pool under the gaze of the Civic center that towers above it. I learnt my badminton in the multi-purpose hall. I played squash and made a lasting connection with my family there. The food was the highlight of that place.
And they were the first (to the best of my knowledge) to pioner Ribena Sprite!
In the Borneo Post.
Long before there was KGS, Sarawak club had a golf course. not many of the younger generation know about that, through those memories are coming back with S'wak Club building a golf course near UNIMAS. Then in the 80's, the corrupt, puppet Sarawak state government stole the land for the golf course, and made it into the Civic center and the Amphitheathere. But at least it gave us a good view of the city and a place to have functions in the open air.
If you look very carefully, you still can see faint traces of the golf course terrain in the grounds of the amphitheatre. The terrain is not natural for a place like that. Its not hard to imagine a nice golf course there.
So, what to do with S'wak club now? I really really hope it can rise up from the ashes again. Many of us have fond memories of the place. Some of us grew up there in the weekend. It was a place to socialise and have fun, the family club. The pool is still one of the best around Kuching. The food isnt cheap, but it was nice. (The food there is still cheaper than here through.) Tons of functions, some that are close to my and my families heart, were held there.
If i was a conspiricy theorist, I would say the Malaysian government is out to destory whats left of the proper British instituations the Brookes left us. They have destroyed the misssion schools. They have destroyed our sensible road names. they have destroyed the road planning system. They have destroyed the beloved Satok bridge. And they will continue to destroy until we run out of oil, gaz and timber, whichever comes first.
I tell you, if this was the Balklands, we'd be declaring independence already.
My wish, is to see Sarawak Club rise again. A new club house, and new design, and new era for the club. It has survivied 120+ years. It will live on again. Too many people grew up there. It has sentimental and historical value to many people.
Its a reasonable request right?
No comments:
Post a Comment