Thursday, September 16, 2010

Ah How, the Ice cream man



Back while I was still in Kuching, there was this old man who usually was around the Ellis Road/Tabuan Road area, selling ice cream. What was unique was that he sold ice cream from a bike.

To be honest, I felt a pang of nostalgia of sorts seeing him. Its not often one sees ice cream being sold from a bike even in Sarawak. They're all been taken over by motorbikes in rather going around with rather odd jingles.

Nadai Nama, better known as Desmond Jerukan (the most public administrative officer in Malaysia, works with the Sri Aman Residen office) recently blogged about the ice cream man when he was in Kuching.

The last time I saw him was when I took that picture, which was in early 2006. Just before I left. Looking at Nadai Nama's pictures, it looks like he has aged a lot. At least I now know he's called Ah How.

Picture courtesy of Nadai Nama. Its a good blog, with a rare glimpse into the Sarawak public service.

He's a part of Kuching's local history and culture, and I feel blessed to be a witness to this. I just hope that in the dizzying rush that is modern life, fellow Kuchingites take time to stop and support the last of a dying part of what makes Kuching truly Kuching.

No comments: