Every con these days has a Haruhi somewhere.
Few weeks back went to Supanova, which bills itself as a "pop culture expo". So this means anime fans intersect with Trekkies, Storm troopers, wrestlers, and the (not so) odd goth. But any convention would have cosplays, either from science fiction, games or Suzumiya Haruhi.
Despite being here in Brisbane for so long, this is actually my first time. Generally study or work commitments get in the way. Either that, or my battries just die. It is a very interesting and fun place, and generally it's PG'ish.
One does not take Supanova too seriously. Except for the booth stalls where they would prefer if you bought something rather than just look. Many things happen in con's, and Supanova is no exception. It is probably the largest expo in Brisbane's alternative calendar. Meanwhile down in Melbourne they have both Manifest and Supanova.............................
I can't remember who they all are. But it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out Belldandy and Meilin.
Naturally I just come for the cosplay sessions. They are some gems these days, and one can enter competitions in a chance to compete in Japan for the World Cosplay Summit. It is one thing competing at a local convention level; it is quite another competing with the rest of the world.
But then again, even a Singaporean could break into the meido market in Akihabara, so it would say it is not impossible. And if that sounds familar, because it is "entrepreneur, cosplay addict, and ‘girl’ ", Jane Fong.
One thing I really need through, is some real photography skills, especially under low-light conditions. My tiny Nikon S560 doesn't do justice to the cosplayers, especially those who have gone to great lengths to get the materials and make their own costumes.
I do kinda miss Berjaya Times Square, where Comic Fiesta is held. The open windows let in oodles of luminious flux in to make photography much much easier. Especially completely photography challenged people like me.
All and all, it was fun. Sure there were chaff, but they were also gems. And I generally have respect for cosplayers. Thankfully the message of "No glomping" did get through, so it was generally safe. I certainly didn't get a picture of everything I saw, but then again, I have at least 2 more years in this place.
Not sure if I can continue to do all this through. Years are catching up with me, and doing 2 degree's don't help in the longevity department. Also money is a pepectual problem.

Flux capacitor anyone?






No comments:
Post a Comment