Thursday, July 05, 2012

3 years of the Twtter Gems series

Source.

To be honest, it was only recently that I realised that my Twitter Gems series is now 3 years old! What started as a personal observation to a rather questionable set of tweets on Twitter has morphed into a on-off series on some of the best 140 characters that have emanated from people who can compress their thoughts into such constraints.

While I did not start off to actually have a running series on some of the gems I find scrolling through the usual suspects that I haunt, little by little I realised that there are some gems in the 140 million tweets sent each day.

Such a textual flood is almost impossible to search through, although Google and Datasift are trying. Most tweets are not indexed by Twitter's own search engine after a few days, and usually unless you know the exact link of the tweet it is, for all intents and purposes, lost forever, unless you have a record somewhere.

Me personally? I can't do micro-blogging. My life is not that boring to be able to fit into 1120 bits, but neither is it interesting enough to warrant a constant stream of continuous updates in short bursts. The 140 character limit is too stifling for verbose people like me, and breaking it up into multiple tweets breaks the line of thought of my words.

No comments: